In 1931, after much prayer and planning by a few people at the Flint #2 Seventh-day Adventist Church, the following year sad the beginning of a new school year. The Michigan Conference of Seventh-day Adventist sent H.T. Saulter to serve as Principal/Teacher of the Flint #2 SDA school. in the ensuing years, many dedicated teachers followed: They were Louise Cunningham (Taylor), Myra Simpson (Herring), Alice Blake (Brantley). Zilda C. Forde, Grace Hamilton Forham, Mildred Johnson, Bertrand Straker.
During the twenty year period, from 1932 to 1952, the school's name varied from Flint #2, to the North End, to the North Street SDA School.
Unfortunately, following this initial period, there was a hiatus in the school's continuity. During this gap, however, our children's spiritual legacy was not neglected. Many parents sacrificed to send their children across town to the Pasadena Street SDA School. This situation eventually evolved into a consolidated school that was supported by the three SDA churches in the area. This occurred in the late 1960s.
The Consolidated School first used the facilities of Woodside Church on Court Street. In 1972 the school moved to Linden Road, and was renamed "The Greater Flint Seventh-day Adventist School." Some of the teachers who instructed our students during the "Consolidated" period were: Katherine Ashbaugh, Merle Bennett, Elaine Humphreys (Norman), Lenard Andrews, Gary Randolph, Evelyn Gates, Ester Vaciani (Williams), Wesley Ringer, and Duane Larkin.
The "Consolidated" period ended in 1975. While our school remained at Linden Road until 1977, our church had recently moved to its present Fairhaven location. It was felt that a school could be operated at this site, and the first classes began at Fairhaven in 1977. Some of the dedicated teachers that we have been fortunate enough to have to instruct our children were: Bernadine Archer, Margaret Barlow, Juanita Bryant, Matthew Christo, Carol Connor, Angelita Crawford, Marie Dabney, Audrey Davis, Edwin Davis, Dorothy Davis, Frances Foust, Philip Giddings, Mary Hayes, Vanessa Golden (Jessup), Thaddeus Jackson, Terrilynn Jackson, Mildren Johnson, Mr. Lashley, Mrs. Matthews, Melody Jones (Roper), Rose Rose and Bedelia Wilson.
In 1996 a modular building was purchased by the church so that there would be adequate facilities to upgrade the school to the tenth grade, with a science lab, etc. The students were taught by three teachers, Mrs. Shermete Brown, Principal/Teacher, Mrs. Grace Ivey, and Mr. Willie Daivs. The school is looking forward to the future with more equipment and facilities available for learning. At present, the teachers are Willie Davis, Head Teacher, and Gianna Davis.
This small school has succeeded far beyond the dreams of our forebears. This institution has helped produce a wealth of leader in the church as well as in the secular community. Workers in the worldwide Seventh-day Adventist Church have come from this school. This group included Foreign Missionaries and local and General Conference personnel. Medical personnel have first done their study here. Teachers and other educators learned their basic craft in their facility. Engineers and scientists have also been nurtured in our school.
We now look to the future of our school. By God's grace, we intend to make it even better than it has been in the past.